Stress undoubtedly comes with a career in law enforcement. Police officers often face high-stress, high-stakes situations where they must make split-second decisions under extreme pressure. If stress isn’t managed, it can cause long-term conditions and illnesses that can negatively affect how officers conduct their daily lives and performance in the field.
Vector Solutions’ new course, Officer Survival: Physiological Response to Stress, covers the different causes of stress for a law enforcement officer, the impact of stress on the mind and body and best practices for stress management.
By completing this training, officers will better understand how stress impacts them and agencies will better support the mental and behavioral health of their employees with important wellness solutions across their departments.
About Law Enforcement Stress Training
Officer Survival: Physiological Response to Stress defines stress and its causes for law enforcement officers. Specifically, it focuses on the physiological response caused by prolonged stress in today’s high profile environment, as well as the stress response that occurs during a high-pressure event.
Using scientific studies performed by organizations such as the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and National Institute of Justice, this course also provides insight into the physiological factors that accompany unmanaged stress for law enforcement officers. For example, studies indicate officers experience higher rates of high blood pressure and high cholesterol than national averages.
This video-based course also presents best practices for individual stress management as well as department strategies and tactics. By prioritizing stress management, agencies can better ensure that their officers work effectively and compassionately to protect and serve their communities.
Officer Survival: Course Objectives
Guided by an onscreen instructor, self-paced lessons address important topics related to law enforcement stress and wellness. By the end of this course, law enforcement professionals will be able to:
- List common signs and symptoms of prolonged or chronic stress
- Explain the impacts of prolonged stress on the health of police officers
- Identify stressors police officers face, including those associated with current events
- Explain the physiological response of the mind and body during a high-stress event, and how it can affect tactical thinking
- Describe ways to manage the physiological response to stress during a crisis
- Understand ways to manage the physiological response to stress prior to a crisis
- Practice wellness techniques to prevent stress for law enforcement professionals
To explore Vector Solutions’ complete law enforcement training catalog, please click here.