Fire departments experiencing budgetary hardships have an opportunity to infuse their organizations with new life through a federally funded grant program. The Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program offers aid to first responders to obtain critically needed equipment, protective gear, emergency vehicles, training, and other necessary resources to achieve their department’s mission.
- Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG): Offers departments funding for critically needed resources to equip and train firefighters in operational efficiency and to support community resilience.
- Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Grants (SAFER): Provides funding to fire departments and volunteer firefighter interest organizations to help increase the number of trained “frontline” firefighters available in their communities.
- Fire Prevention & Safety Grants (FP&S): Supports projects that enhance public safety and firefighters from fire and related hazards.
Developed in 2001 by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the mission of the program is to “strengthen national preparedness and resilience.” Focusing on eligible fire departments, non-affiliated emergency medical service (EMS) organizations, and State Fire Training Academies (SFTA), the program annually projects to award as many as 2,500 grants to approved organizations.
Award sizes are determined by the populations of the jurisdictions served. Applicants should be prepared to provide documentation and background information on their department’s specific needs and goals:
- Organization and the Community Served: Discuss your organization and the special needs or hazards faced by your community and how they impact your department.
- Financial Need: Why does your organization need financial assistance and what types of budgetary distress are you currently experiencing?
- Project Description and Budget Justification: Explain some of your department’s projects and how they impact your budget.
- Operations/Cost Benefit: How will a grant benefit your organization and impact your operational costs?
- Statement of Effect: How will this grant positively impact your mission and the community your department serves?
For organizations that are seeking out new training opportunities, TargetSolutions offers an affordable all-in-one solution designed to streamline department training and records management. Schedule, track, and deliver award-winning firefighter and EMS continuing education anytime, anywhere. Utilized by more than 4,000 organizations nationwide, TargetSolutions is the undisputed leader in online training for the fire service.
Please note, the application period closes Feb. 2.
The Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program is currently accepting applications. Restrictions apply. Please visit FEMA’s website for more information at: https://www.fema.gov/welcome-assistance-firefighters-grant-program